We spoke at the end of the lecture about digitization. I have heard of problems with digitizing documents, particularly older ones. My understanding is that the scanner, if that is what is used, can damage the document. Is this from the light? Or is it just how the document must be handled in order to scan it? When is this a concern?
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have also heard that the light from scanners can damage documents, especially if they are older and fragile. The actually scanning process is also a matter of concern if done incorrectly. When the book is placed on the scanner bed extreme care is needed or the weight of the lid can cause the fibers in the paper to bend which would result in further damage down the road. There can also be damage done to the spine of the book. Based on the information that we learned in 2214 last night, it sounds like this is a very big concern for brittle books. I am sure that sometime during the next year we will all learn the basics of proper scanning. I am sure that will be a riveting class……
Post a Comment